Manchester United linked with Cristiano Ronaldo return

Return: Could Ronaldo go back to Old Trafford?
Refresh automatically ON | OFF

Cristiano Ronaldo is being lined up for a sensational return to Manchester United – six years after leaving the club for Real Madrid.

United are working on what would be a new club-record deal to bring the Portuguese back to Old Trafford as they look to restore themselves at the top of English football.

United explored the possibility of signing Ronaldo during David Moyes’ first transfer window in 2013, however the three-time Ballon d’Or winner signed a new contract until 2018.

The 30-year-old scored 117 goals during his six-year stint with the Red Devils.

11:11 am
Baggies back in for Antonio

West Brom are reportedly preparing an improved bid for Michail Antonio.

Nottingham Forest rejected a £4m bid for the winger earlier this month with the Championship side keen to keep hold of their prize asset.

However, Tony Pulis isn’t willing to give up easily as he looks to add some pace to his attack ahead of the new season.

Elsewhere, Forest midfielder Robert Tesche is a target for Birmingham.

Action ImagesNottingham Forest's Michail Antonio tustles with Watford's Adlene Guedioura
11:03 am
Luis deal hits a snag

Filipe Luis’ return to Atletico Madrid has seemingly hit a snag.

Marca reports the Spanish giants are still waiting on the revlevant papers from Chelsea to complete the switch.

Luis has already passed a medical to re-join Atleti after one season at Stamford Bridge and they expected to receive the final documents on Thursday.

However, they’re still waiting to complete the transfer formalities.

Shaun Botterill
10:55 am
*DONE DEAL*

Rotherham have announced the signing of Chris Maguire from Sheffield Wednesday.

The 26-year-old joins the club after three years at Hillsborough, where he scored 18 times in all competitions.

Boss Steve Evans said: “This young man is a player I have admired since his days at Aberdeen and he was a lad that was on my targeted list of players at the end of last season.

“We all know that Chris Maguire can play as a striker or indeed a wide position, he has great qualities in both departments.”

10:45 am
Yarmolenko on Stoke

Andriy Yarmolenko has refused to rule out a move to Stoke.

The Ukranian has been linked with a move to the Britannia after Stoke gave up on Xherdan Shaqiri.

Dynamo Kiev boss Sergei Rebrov said he felt the 25-year-old should hold out for a Champions League move but Yarmolenko isn’t saying no just yet.

Back then (in 2011), Stoke were completely different,” Yarmolenko told Ukrainian newspaper Sport Express. “They no longer hit balls at random and take long throw-ins.”

“Will I stay or go? “I have proposals which I am deliberating on at the moment. All should become clearer in the next month.

“My attitude has not changed. I have been with Dynamo since I was a child and they have raised me and made me the person I am today.”

Gareth Copley
10:41 am
David Anderson
Do Rhodes lead to Boro?

Blackburn have told Middlesbrough they must smash the Championship transfer record to land Jordan Rhodes.

Blackburn have rejected Boro’s latest offer of £9million plus £5million in add-ons and want £12million up front for the Scotland striker, who has scored 73 goals in 134 league appearances for Rovers.

Debt-ridden Rovers’ valuation is £1million more than the Championship record £11million Fulham paid Leeds for Ross McCormack last season.

Middlesbrough have been chasing Rhodes, who has four years left on his Ewood Park deal, for months and failed with a cheeky loan bid in March.

Blackburn are also playing hardball with Watford over Rudy Gestede and have knocked back their offer of £6million plus £3million in add-ons.

Rovers want £8million up front for the Benin striker, who has scored 32 goals in 60 league games, even though he has entered the final year Of his contract.

ActionJordan Rhodes scores Blackburn's first goal
10:33 am
Austin likely to go

QPR manager Chris Ramsey has told talkSPORT this morning that star striker Charlie Austin is likely to leave the club this summer.

Ramsey told the station: “We have to be realistic. It’s unlikely he’ll stay. We want to keep him but it’s unlikely.

“The club is in a financial position that it needs to recoup some money and I think for his ambitions he wants to keep playing in the Premier League to go to the Euros.

“We’ve been offered £12m and turned it down so we’re looking in excess of £15m – goalscoring is something you can’t coach, it’s just a habit that some people have.”

However, Ramsey suggested that Austin could stay at Loftus Road if the right offer didn’t materialise.

He added: “He’s aiming to go to a team that’s in the top half of the table, if he doesn’t then he could stay. He puts in a shift in training. I don’t think he’s going to be one of those whose head is all over the place. It’s hard for any young man with this sort of attention to not be affected but he’s been very good.”

Rex FeaturesCharlie Austin warms up
9:37 am
Villa eyeing Young move?

Aston Villa are monitoring the developments concerning Ashley Young’s Manchester United contract.

According to the Daily Mail, the 30-year-old – who left Villa for Old Trafford in 2011 for £18million – is being watched by the Midlands club, as Tim Sherwood looks to re-shape his attack following Christian Benteke’s departure.

How would fans take his potential return?

PAAshley Young
Ashley Young
9:31 am
Adriano keen on Roma

Barcelona utility man Adriano wants a move to Roma, according to his agent.

The Brazilian has been at Camp Nou for five years, but has never really stamped down a first team place.

Now with two years left on his contract, the 30-year-old wants a new challenge – and for regular first-team action.

“Roma have made a very tempting offer and Adriano feels it’s time for a change,” the defender’s representative agent told Sport.

“Now is a good time to take on a new challenge and take advantage of the opportunity to play for a big Italian club like Roma.

“Adriano has a great relationship with everyone at Barcelona and they have behaved very well toward us.

“As professionals, the situation has to be managed with intelligence and patience in order to reach an agreement over a transfer.”

Adriano wants a new challenge
9:25 am
Double re-return at Atleti

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has confirmed that Los Rojiblancos are interested in Thiago Motta.

The Italian international is leaving PSG following the expiration of his contract and is set to return to the Vicente Calderon, where he spent the 2007-08 season.

Speaking to Marca, Cerezo said: “He’s a player that we’re interested in”, he said.

“Every negotiation takes its time, and this particular one is taking quite long, but we’re working on it.”

Atleti are also expected to announce the return of Filipe Luis in the coming days, with the Brazilian international set to return after a disappointing year at Chelsea.

Miguel Ruiz
9:04 am
Latest on Arsenal and Sergi Samper

In recent days reports in Spain have suggested that Arsenal are keen on Barcelona midfielder Sergi Samper, albeit in reports that didn’t exactly house much substance.

Today, El Confidencial has a different take on proceedings.

They reckon that the move is being pushed by the Samper camp, with the player’s father having contacted the Gunners, asking them to sign his son.

Samper visited Arsenal’s training ground in 2011 with Jon Toral and Hector Bellerin, but decided against moving – on the advice of agent Pere Guardiola.

Now, with his first-team chances slim at Camp Nou, Samper’s father is pushing for him to move to the Emirates four years later – but Arsenal are said to have no interest in making a move

ActionSergi Samper
8:57 am
Aston Villa move for Ayew?

According to Radio RMC, Aston Villa – fresh from selling Christian Benteke – have made a £7million bid for Lorient’s Jordan Ayew.

The former Marseille forward – brother of Swansea’s Andre Ayew – has been a long been linked with the Villans.

The Ghana international, still just 23, averages one goal in three games for club and country.

GettyIvory Coast winners 2015
Jordan Ayew (L) hugs his older brother Andre
8:36 am
ICYMI: Bartomeu on Pedro

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu says they have not received any bids for Spanish forward Pedro Rodriguez.

The winger, three-times a Champions League winner, has been linked with a move away this summer, with Manchester United and Chelsea both keen.

Pedro only signed a four-year deal with the Catalan giants a couple of months ago, but is behind the club’s much-vaunted front trio – Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez – in the Camp Nou pecking order.

And with his buy-out clause having been dropped from £105million to £22million since he signed his new deal, the 27-year-old is more accessible than ever before for interested parties.

However, Barca are remaining calm over the Spanish international, with no offers having been forthcoming, according to their newly-elected president.

“We have not received any offers for any player,” declared Bartomeu.

“I refer back to what head coach Luis Enrique said: If someone wants to sign our players then the release clause must be met.

“So far, no one has made an offer, so we are calm.”

Barca are calm over Pedro
7:58 am
Saints need new defender

Southampton boss Ronald Koeman is on the lookout for a new centre-back after Florin Gardos picked up a serious injury.

The Romanian international, who moved to St. Mary’s last summer, is set to miss “six or seven months” with the problem.

“Very sad news,” manager Koeman said after Saints’ 3-0 win at his former club Feyenoord.

“He was going into his second season in Southampton and young, and that type of injury and you lose six or seven months and everybody is disappointed.

“That’s the priority, to bring in one or maximum two centre-backs,” the Dutchman said. “It’s too small with Maya (Yoshida) and Jose (Fonte).

“Ok, we have (Jack) Stephens, we have (Jordan) Turnbull, but they are young and still they have to improve themselves and that’s the point for attention at the moment, the centre-back position.”

Sascha Steinbach
7:50 am
Villa bid for Ayew

And according to reports in France, Tim Sherwood has identified Jordan Ayew as one of his top targets.

RMC reports Villa have made a £7m bid for the 23-year-old, who currently plies his trade with Lorient.

Ghana international Ayew joined the Ligue 1 club from Marseille last summer but his brother Andre recently joined Swansea, and may well be tempted to follow suit.

Sherwood is eager to bring in at least four new faces before the summer gets underway.

Dennis Grombkowski – FIFA
7:47 am
James Nursey
EXCLUSIVE: Villa hold transfer summit

Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa staged a crunch meeting this week to line up transfer targets after losing their two best players.

Boss Sherwood is reeling following the sales of captain and midfielder Fabian Delph to Manchester City and top scorer Christian Benteke to Liverpool within a week of each other.

Villa were powerless to keep either player as both had buy-out clauses in their contracts.

Sherwood, who took charge in February, is now desperate to bring in his own signings to reshape the side.

He has already signed left-back Jordan Amavi from Nice and Lille central midfielder Idrissa Gueye for £9million each.

Read more here.

Neville Williams
7:37 am
Downing on Bilic

Stewart Downing has revealed he left West Ham because he didn’t feel wanted by Slaven Bilic.

The 31-year-old returned to boyhood club Middlesbrough earlier this summer despite a strong season at Upton Park.

And Downing believes had Sam Allardyce stayed at Upton Park, he may well have followed suit.

“The change of manager was a big factor,” said Downing.

“If Sam had stayed, then I’m sure he’d have had a good sit down to try to persuade me to stay.”

“After speaking to Slaven, I didn’t get that feel of someone who really wanted me there. He said, ‘I’d love you to say’, but I didn’t get the feeling that I got when Sam signed me.”

GettyStewart Downing celebrates scoring his team's opening goal
7:30 am
John Cross
Giroud signs new deal

Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud has eased Arsene Wenger’s striker frustrations by signing a new deal.

France international Giroud agreed the deal last season and has now put pen to paper to commit himself to the club until 2018.

Gunners boss Wenger is a huge fan of of the 28-year-old, but is still in the market for another striker this summer.

But Wenger’s moves so far have been blocked and he is adamant that he will only buy top quality, which leaves the door open for a stellar signing.

They bought Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil in the last two summers and they have got the cash to spend big again.

Read more here.

Stuart MacFarlane
7:14 am
James Nursey
Diaby heading for West Brom?

Abou Diaby is in talks with West Brom about a pay as you play deal after leaving Arsenal when his contract expired.

The midfielder and former French international left the Gunners this summer after nine years.

But he still training at there and Albion are chasing him despite his wretched injury history which limited him to 180 appearances.

Baggies boss Tony Pulis is anxious to strengthen his squad and sees Diaby, 29, as a useful option to slot in.

Diaby is unlikely to be able to cope with two matches in quick succession but Albion’s medical team insist they can manage him successfully.

GettyAbou Diaby during the match
7:05 am
Welbeck to Turkey?

Reports in Turkey suggest Besiktas are plotting a sensational swoop for Danny Welbeck.

Besiktas sold Demba Ba to Shenghai Shenhua earlier this summer and are on the lookout for a new frontman.

A host of names have been linked but according to newspaper Aksam, the club’s hierarchy have turned their attention to Welbeck.

Arsenal are believed to be on the lookout for a big-name striker too this summer, alerting Besiktas that Welbeck could be available.

The England striker joined Arsenal for £16m a year ago and Arsene Wenger isn’t thought to have any plans to lose him.

It is claimed Besiktas think they can land him for just over £10m.

Stuart MacFarlane
6:40 am
David McDonnell
Herrera backs himself to keep place

Ander Herrera says he has what it takes to stay in the Manchester United side – despite their high-profile summer signings at his position, writes David McDonnell in San Francisco.

Louis van Gaal has added Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin to his midfield ranks this summer, increasing competition for game-time in the middle of the pitch.

As well as those two new arrivals, 25-year-old Herrera also faces opposition from Michael Carrick and Daley Blind, as well as fellow Spaniard Juan Mata and Marouane Fellaini.

But after overcoming a tough start to his United career to establish himself as a regular under first-year boss Van Gaal, he believes he can remain a key man for the Reds in the new campaign.

“After one season, I know how well I have to play to keep playing for Manchester United,” said Herrera. “I’m happy with my development last season, but this is Manchester United — I have to keep improving if I want to play for this club.”

Read more here.

GettyAnder Herrera of Manchester United in action with Steve Harper of Hull City
6:30 am
Arsenal can sign ANYONE (except Messi and Ronaldo)

Arsene Wenger has been given a transfer warchest to bring a world-class striker to Arsenal.

The Emirates chief is on the lookout for a new frontman, with Real Madrid star Karim Benzema among the names on Wenger’s shopping list.

Gunners director Lord Harris admits the north Londoners were strapped for cash when they moved to their new stadium, but insists the Frenchman has money to spend to boost his firepower.

The Carpetright owner, 72, told the Daily Mail: “We could go into the market and probably buy any player in the world, apart from half a dozen who are un-buyable. In the accounts, there’s over £200million in the bank.

“You could say to Arsene we’ve got no money and he wouldn’t worry, or you could give him £100m and he might not spend it.”

Read more here.

6:28 am
John Cross
Spurs want Saido

Tottenham want to unite Saido Berahino and Harry Kane in a striking dream team.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is desperate to strengthen his attack and is ready to make a firm bid for West Brom forward Berahino, a long-term target.

The Baggies are aware of Tottenham’s interest and are trying to tie down the 21-year-old – who has played alongside last season’s goal-scoring sensation Kane for England Under-21s – with a new contract.

The Londoners were also keen on the England starlet in January, but West Brom held firm and refused to sell.

But now the White Hart Lane club are back in the market and are ready to test West Brom’s resolve again with a firm bid.

Read more here.

Getty Images
6:25 am
Return of the Ron?

Manchester United want to re-sign Old Trafford great Cristiano Ronaldo as the club intensifies its efforts to build a potentially title-winning squad.

United are working on what could be a new club-record deal to bring Ronaldo back to Manchester six years after he joined Real Madrid for a world record £80m, reports the Manchester Evening News.

Although United have completed deals for Memphis Depay, Matteo Darmian, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin, the club is determined to secure a marquee buy in the vein of Angel di Maria’s British record £59.7m arrival last year.

United explored the possibility of signing Ronaldo during David Moyes’ first transfer window in 2013, however the three-time Ballon d’Or winner signed a new contract until 2018.

The 30-year-old scored 117 goals during his six-year stint with the Red Devils.

Read more here.

GettyCristiano Ronaldo
6:22 am
Liam Prenderville
The clock is ticking…

The new Premier League season is just a matter of weeks away and clubs are starting to spend big.

Manchester United have brought in a host of new faces but with Angel Di Maria seemingly on his way, more could come in.

Arsene Wenger would appear content with his Arsenal squad but a big-name striker is seemingly on his wishlist.

Liverpool have spent big this summer and you wouldn’t rule out them making more additions.

Manchester City look ready to splash the cash again with a move for Kevin De Bruyne expected.

So there’s plenty going on and we’ll have everything you need to know right through the day.

Stay tuned!

Be the first to comment on "Manchester United linked with Cristiano Ronaldo return"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*